We're excited to share some big improvements to Segments functionality within the OneSignal Dashboard.
As you may know, Segments are a powerful way to target specific users with more personalized and more engaging push notifications by dividing your total user base into specific audiences based on data attributes like activity, location, and interests. Each Segment consists of one or more Filters that target users with these attributes.
After many discussions and feedback sessions with our clients about Segments, a number of pain points emerged that we wanted to improve. We're now ready to take the wraps off our new Segments Editor that incorporates this feedback!
Improvements to Segments
- Segments can now be created and modified directly from the New Message flow as well as the Segments page
- Segments rules are now written in plain English, so you can more easily understand them at a glance
- Picking segments to use now shows more information about those segments, which is especially helpful if you have many segments or if your segment names aren't memorable
- More complicated Segments (such as those that use OR filters) are easier to edit and understand
- You can now duplicate segments, which makes it easier to tweak how you target segments
- You can now see a list of users in a segment in one click from the segments page
- System-provided segments are now separated out from your custom segments, so you can manage those more easily
- Its easier to understand the impact of every filter on how many users there are in a segment
- Picking filters is now clearer and will support more filter types
- There are now explanations presented alongside filters to help you understand what each filter does, as well as explanations for how to use the segments editor
- The Segments Editor look and feel is cleaner and easier to read, using a new design language that we will be incorporating into other parts of the dashboard (see also Notification Categories).
Over the next two weeks, we will be rolling the Segments redesign out to all clients. In the meantime, take a look at our new segments documentation to learn more. And as always, feel free to reach out with any feedback or questions you may have.